Chef: Erica Podlowski
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 60 mins
- rolling pin
- bamboo or metal steamer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups just boiled water
- 1 cup fermented sauerkraut or fermented vegetables of choice (see the instructional video and/or pamphlet on lacto-fermentation that is available on our website!)
- In a large bowl add the flour and make a well in the centre.
- Slowly add just boiled water, while mixing the flour and water together.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 2 minutes. It should bounce back when you press on it.
- Wrap the dough in a damp kitchen towel, plastic wrap or a ziplock bag and place in the refrigerator to rest for about 25 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and dust a clean work surface with flour. With a rolling pin, roll the dough as thin as possible and use a cutter or a cup to make circles about 2.5 inches in diameter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling inside each piece of dough and moisten the edge with water. Pinch together the side to close dumplings.
- Steam the dumplings in a covered bamboo or metal steamer for about 10 minutes. Serve with soy sauce, tamari, chilli oil or your favourite condiment.
- Extra dumplings can be frozen before steaming, then steamed from frozen for 15 minutes.
*Purchase some of these ingredients here