Chef: Erica Podlowski
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, honey, sugar or 3 medjool dates)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg.
- Fresh or dried fruits, nuts and/or seeds (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice, milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until thickened, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla or almond extract. Portion into dishes. Serve warm or refrigerate.
- If desired, top with cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh or dried fruits and/or seeds
*How do you thicken rice pudding?
Rice pudding will thicken as it cools, but if you prefer your pudding thicker, you can whisk in a beaten egg (or a tablespoon of chia seeds or ground flax) while the pudding is warming and continue cooking until it’s thickened.