Chef: Erica Podlowski
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup organic rice, brown or white
- 2 cups filtered water
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of honey, maple syrup, 2 medjool dates (optional)
- Rinse 1 cup of rice and put in a blender.
- Add 2 cups water, salt and optional sweetener. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes
- Use the finest strainer you can find to separate the rice grits from the milk. Alternatively, you can purchase rice and nut milk bags at health food stores, which are made of fine-mesh fabric, designed specifically for this purpose.
- Keep rice milk in a sterilized, sealed glass container for up to four days. Shake before use.
Wondering what to do with those rice grits?
Use them to make rice porridge for breakfast: simply cover the grits with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer with cinnamon and raisins until the water is absorbed. Then add rice milk. Waste not, want not!