St. James Town is among the neighbourhoods hardest hit by the COVID-19 in Toronto’s downtown core. The pandemic has exacerbated food insecurity in the neighbourhood from by job loss, income loss, mandated isolation, and other factors. The Canadian Red Cross has awarded the St. James Town community Co-op a project grant to provide emergency response to combat this growing food insecurity.
- To supply free healthy and culturally-appropriate groceries to food-insecure St. James Town residents
- To supply prepared meals to residents
- To provide food-based educational workshops and resources to increase pandemic emergency food preparedness in the neighbourhood
- To step towards creating a more food secure neighbourhood
Sign-up for one-time grocery or meal delivery, no questions asked: here.
Sign-up to volunteer: here.
- Provide grocery boxes at no-cost to families and individuals on bi-weekly basisIdentify 30-50 families in need of consistent food support
- Identify 30-50 individuals facing barriers to accessing food
- Provide an additional 50-60 individuals grocery boxes at an at-need basis through Google form or phone call sign-up
- Provide prepared meals to individuals and families expressing need
- Facilitate 3 food-based online workshops
- Facilitate 6 events, online and in-person where appropriate
Grocery Distribution Schedule
Distribution Day 1: Friday December 11th, 2020
Distribution Day 2: Wednesday December 23rd, 2020
Distribution Day3: Friday January 8th, 2021
Distribution Day 4: Friday January 22nd, 2021
Distribution Day 5: Friday February 5th, 2021
Distribution Day 6: Friday February 19th, 2021
*Event dates and times will be added here as they are confirmed
As always, we are open to questions, queries, and input of any kind. Do not hesitate to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please view our COVID-19 Policy: here