Chef: Erica Podlowski
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes + 2-3 days for sprouting
- 1 cup, uncooked rice or use 2 cups leftover cooked rice
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, cashews or almonds, soaked in water overnight or in boiling water for 2 hours to soften
- 5 cloves garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ¾ cup onion (yellow, white, red, green)
- ½ cup grated carrot, parsnip, turnip, yam or squash
- ¾ cup cooked and drained beans of choice (black, navy, garbanzo, lentils…)
- 2 Tablespoons flour/alternative, oats or breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, arrowroot powder, ground flaxseed or 1 egg (used as a binder)
- 4 teaspoons spices of choice (cumin, coriander, za’atar, chili, paprika, curry…)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs of choice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, curry paste, ketchup, mustard, other condiment
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce (optional)
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place rice in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the rice for 15 minutes. It should still be quite chewy but not hard. Drain the rice if necessary and scrape into a large bowl. Or use leftover rice. Set aside.
- Finely mince garlic and dice onion. Grate the carrots/vegetable of choice and add to a bowl with garlic and onion. If you are using larger nuts/seeds lightly chop them. Alternatively, you can pulse these ingredients in a food processor or blender to form a chunky paste. Add this mixture to the large bowl with the rice
- To the large bowl add the flour, arrowroot powder (or binder of choice), spices, herbs, tomato paste (or other condiment), soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of water, salt and pepper. Mix everything with your hands until the mixture holds together when you pinch it. Add more water if necessary.
- Form the mixture into 8 equal patties. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour so they can properly set.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the patties from the refrigerator and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Serve hot with accompaniments.