Chef: Erica Podlowski
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 small onion, diced1 cup milk or alternative (try coconut milk, nut milk, soy…)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16oz can diced tomato (or 2 large tomatoes diced)
- 2-3 cups broth or water
- 1 cup cubed potato, yam. yucca, squash (be creative and have fun!) 1 cup cubed mixed vegetables like carrots, green beans, corn, okra, celery, mushroom fresh or frozen (be creative and have fun!)
- 1 cup sprouted lentils (substitute any other sprouted bean/legume)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon or lime juice (optional)
- Prepare your sprouts. Lentils take about 3 days to mature. You can use any other variety of sprouts mentioned above.
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté onion in a tablespoon of oil, butter, or ghee on low-medium heat until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- If you are using any herbs or spices (see below) add now and allow the flavours to combine for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, all root vegetables and mixed vegetables, then top with broth or water cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until root vegetables are cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice (optional)
- Take off the heat and add sprouted lentils before serving to retain their plentiful nutrients!