Recipe: Khoresh Gheymeh
About this Recipe
- a pound of cubed stewing beef, lamb or plant-based alternative
- a spoonful of butter/margarine/oil
- a small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups of water
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 dried Persian limes, whole, pierced with a fork (could use lemon or lime juice to taste instead)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp saffron or a bit more turmeric
- French fries for garnish or rice on the side
1. Melt oil/butter in a medium pan over medium heat and sauté your beef/lamb/other protein with the onion, turmeric and pepper approximately 10 min or until protein is browned
2. Add 3 cups of water, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 20-30 minutes there should be about 2 and a half cups of water left but you can add more if it’s gone down a lot.
3. Rinse the split peas, cover them with about an inch of water in a small pot with some salt. Cook 5-6 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste, the cooked peas, a bit more butter or oil, dried limes and saffron if using to the pot of broth. If you’re using juice instead of the dried limes that can be added at the very end instead.
5. Bring the stew to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes until everything is tender and the sauce has thickened.
You can serve this with steamed rice, bread, and some yogurt to top if you would like. It also gets garnished with French fries which is delicious if you want to try!