Our St James Town Emergency Food Program continues to adapt.
We are now running a program through March with the support from FoodShare Toronto, Global Medic, and the support of Canadians across the country!
Currently, St. James Town residents facing food insecurity can sign up to receive a healthy food box with produce, dried goods, Hewitt’s milk, and Organic local eggs, here.
Red Cross Emergency Food Program:
This program has now ended. We are working on transitioning to a different model using donated funds. Please check back in on March 1st for an update.
St. James Town is among the neighbourhoods hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto’s downtown core.
The pandemic has exacerbated food insecurity in the neighbourhood from by job loss, income loss, mandated isolation, and other factors. The Canadian Red Cross has awarded the St. James Town community Co-op a project grant to provide emergency response to combat this growing food insecurity.
- To supply free healthy and culturally-appropriate groceries to food-insecure St. James Town residents
- To supply prepared meals to residents
- To provide food-based educational workshops and resources to increase pandemic emergency food preparedness in the neighbourhood
- To step towards creating a more food secure neighbourhood
Sign-up for one-time grocery or meal delivery, no questions asked: SIGN UP IS NOW CLOSED.
Sign-up to volunteer: here.
Sign up for related educational events: here.
- Provide grocery boxes at no-cost to families and individuals on bi-weekly basis
- Identify 30 families in need of consistent food support
- Identify 30 individuals facing barriers to accessing food
- Provide an additional 140 families/individuals grocery boxes at an at-need basis through Google form or phone call sign-up
- Provide prepared meals to individuals and families expressing need
- Facilitate 3 food-based online workshops
- Facilitate 6 events, online and in-person where appropriate
Grocery Distribution Schedule
Distribution Day 1: Friday December 11th, 2020
Distribution Day 2: Wednesday December 23rd, 2020
Distribution Day3: Friday January 8th, 2021
Distribution Day 4: Friday January 22nd, 2021
Distribution Day 5: Friday February 5th, 2021
Distribution Day 6: Friday February 19th, 2021
*To view event dates, visit our events page
As always, we are open to questions, queries, and input of any kind. Do not hesitate to send us an email at email@example.com
Please view our COVID-19 Policy in English here: http://stjamest.mywhc.ca/covid-19-policy/
Or in another language below:
Would you like to help us expand our translation abilities and reach? Fill in our translator sign-up here!