Bulk Food Buying Club Coordinator (posted April 2021)
Job Description: we are looking for an organized coordinator to help sustain our volunteer-run bulk food buying club.
Part-time contract (up to 20 hours per month) – this looks like: $200 per shopping cycle (2 cycles per month, approximately 10 hours of work per cycle)
Bulk food buying club: individuals and families purchase healthy bulk food directly from a distributor. By ordering together, we are able to bring in mostly organic food at low costs that are competitive with non-organic items at the local Food Basics! Our club currently has about 30 members, with around 10-15 orders per bulk food buying club event, which we hope to grow to at least 40 people (depending on space availability) by June. Through the club, the co-op can also purchase items for our emergency healthy food project.
The St. James Town Co-op is a community-based democratically owned co-op in St. James Town that focuses on sustainable development in the neighbourhood, with particular interest in food security and climate change.
Job Responsibilities – You will receive training and have access to ongoing support from staff and translators to do the following:
- Lead (at least 1, at most 2) monthly bulk food buying orders, deliveries and safe pick-ups
- Confirm availability of products with suppliers (with support from Food and Engagement Coordinator)
- Set up shop using Open Food Network
- Promote the shop and communicate regularly with buyers and members
- Track orders and payments (Food and Engagement Coordinator to support payment and financial logistics)
- Using online orders, coordinate packing and pick up/delivery day (with on-site support from Volunteer Coordinator)
- Follow-up with First-time and Non-member customers about joining the Coop
- Onboard and support first time buying club members in using the Open Food Network platform to buy food through the Club.
- Work with the Website and Social media coordinators to increase bulk food buying membership and awareness.
- Work with translators as needed to accomplish responsibilities
- 1st Goal: onboard 10 new members to the Club by June/July
- Additional tasks as directed by the executive team and the bulk food buying club committee chair.
- Strong organization skills and ability to work independently and with a team;
- Experience in administration and able to learn new systems;
- A creative and calm approach to problem-solving;
- Ability to work remotely as well as in-person in St James Town as required;
- Passion for food security and/or community health;
- Confident using data sheets and working with numbers;
- Experience using AirTable and/or Excel is an asset, but the right candidate can be trained in these;
- Detail-oriented, especially when using technology for sales purposes;
- Confident in written and oral communication in English;
- A second/third language relevant to the community would be an asset (especially Tamil, Arabic, Spanish or Chinese, among many others) but not required;
- St. James Town resident would be an asset.
Send your resume and a few sentences about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note that interviews and hiring will occur on a rolling basis. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.