The community garden is a project that is near and dear to our hearts. Initially the backyard of one of our founding members, Josephine Grey; the garden was soon taken over by the co-op in hopes of growing our own food.
The garden is split into 2 sections:
- Plots for residents of the neighbourhood to grow their food
- The Co-op’s gardening area
This summer, the garden is going through a “Garden Beautification” phase where the summer staff got together to clean up the garden and make it more aesthetically pleasing.
On the to-do list of the Garden Beautification Project is:
- Clean up the garden
- Post new Covid-19 guidelines and precaution posters for visitors’ to follow
- Build a hand sanitizer station in order to decrease the spread of germs
- Build a bench for visitors
- Build a dehydrator to increase the longevity of herbs and greens from the garden
- Build a sign to identify the garden
After a long day at the garden, the summer staff were able to complete most of items on the to-do list:
We accomplished a lot, but theres still a long ways to go. We are certain that by the end of the summer we will be able to complete our entire beautification project.