Chef: Kelly Lucas from Full Moon Apothecary
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes
- 1 cup japanese knotweed, chopped
- 3 cups mixed fruit of choice (half strawberry and half apple were used in this recipe)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar, honey, maple syrup
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, lime, orange
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla, optional
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (use coconut oil for dairy-free option)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup flour of choice or nut flour like almond
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease your baking dish – you can use a 9-inch pie dish or a 9 x 9-inch square dish. Make the filling: in a medium to a large bowl, mix all the filling ingredients, stirring the cornstarch in last to mix with the juices. This will help keep the crisp from being runny.
- Make the topping. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, stirring until everything is moist and mixed. Arrange the filling in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish and distribute the topping evenly over it.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit filling is bubbling and the topping is nicely browned. Let cool slightly and serve warm with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.